Friday, November 5, 2010

The Tutorial Submission




The tutorial I have developed above is purely on AI nodes and how they interact with each other and the environment. Through the production of Experiments 1 and 2, I have noticed that I do find it quite difficult to use the Flow graph system in the Sandbox Editor and it is quite hard to find tutorials on absolutely everything you wish to produce.


Experiment 1 was simply the act of putting Archetype Entities together and analysising the effect of explosions on them and on the player. Although this did not involve flowgraph nodes, I decided to add this feature into the Town Hall structure by allowing the platforms to move and transport the player around different sections of the structure. Similarily, I used this procedure to move the elevator in Experiment 2. However, this experiment explored the use of flowgraphs more and allowed me to experiment on things that I had never tried before. For this reason, I have decided to use the techniques I have learnt to combine tutorials together and create something I found interesting - making an AI walk up a set of stairs and making a vehicle drive up a ramp.

Through the experiment procedure, I noticed that when I draw an AIPath on the terrain, it lays flat and its pretty much impossible to get it to slant the way you want it to. Throughout the second experiment, I wished for characters to move up stairs, but wasn't sure if it would work the way a normal AIPath would. So I proceeded to try it out and see what happens, and noticed that it didn't make a difference on how high the AIPath was positioned - the character would always move in the direction of the path, as long as there was something there to boost the character up (in the case of the tutorial - stairs and a ramp).

Through the experimentation of this, it helped me quite a lot in experiment 2 and assisted in the explanation of my idea of 'navigation' through the Town Hall structure.


Xanthochori. Add AI to Vehicle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjARJ9RR-rM&feature=related. Accessed September 2010

Xanthochori. Making AI Drive Vehicle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elOSbV3s0dc&feature=related. Accessed September 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment